The 2018/19 dance season begins September 10th, 2018. The last scheduled instructional day is June 8th, 2019. Please refer to our season calendar for a detailed list of studio events and holiday closures.
Clothing is an important part of dance class. The correct clothing prevents injury, allows the instructor to see when the student is performing movements correctly, allows for free movement, and fosters a team atmosphere. A list of class dress requirements will be posted shortly on the programs page. Students who do not come to class in the proper clothing may be asked to sit and observe the class for their own safety. Students should cover up their dance attire with appropriate clothing when entering and exiting the studio from outside.
Water bottles are permitted in the studios with teacher permission, however no other food or beverages will be allowed.
We ask that outdoor shoes be removed at the front door before entering the studio.
All students, parents, instructors and support staff are expected to demonstrate respect for all students, families and staff of Flexpointe Studios Inc at all times. Flexpointe Studios Inc reserves the right to dismiss anyone thought to be disrespectful or not following studio policies.
- Uphold studio values
- Punctual – arrive on time and ready to dance (hair neat and pulled back, shoes on, right attire).
- Prepared to learn – focused, polite, properly dressed.
- Practice – like any sport or musical instrument, practice is essential for success. It is very important for students to be practicing choreography as well as exercises and terminology for examinations.
- Positive attitude – everyone learns best in a positive environment, poor attitudes in class will not be tolerated.
- Team player – Dance is a team activity. Students have a commitment to the team to attend class regularly and practice frequently.
- Uphold studio values
- Parents should make every effort to ensure that their child arrives to class on time and is picked up following class in a timely manner.
- Let the instructor know if you have any concerns, but please not between classes. Maintaining open and honest communication with our parents is important to us. If you have a concern, please leave a message for the instructor or Director with office staff.
- Read newsletters to stay informed of studio events.
- Ensure all fees are paid in a timely manner.
- Respect policies and instructor concerns.
Instructor & Staff Responsibilities
- Uphold studio values
- Start and finish classes on time.
- Treat students fairly.
- Provide a positive and creative learning experience.
- Teach age and level appropriate classes and choreography.
- Communicate concerns promptly with the Director and parents as required.
- Uphold studio philosophy.
Students are enrolled based on age as of September 1st. During the month of September class placements will be evaluated by Flexpointe Studios Inc staff based on ability and attitude. It is our goal that students be given the opportunity to meet their full potential; therefore students are often placed according to their ability rather than being placed by age alone. Because of this, class placements may be changed in the month of September. The decisions made by Flexpointe instructors and by the director, are based on what will provide the student with the best possible dance experience.
Parent are invited to watch the last 10 minutes of every class during the first week of October, March & May. There are also 2 scheduled viewing weeks during the year when parents will be invited into the classroom to observe the entire class. The last class before Winter break, parents will be invited into the classroom during the last 15minutes of class to observe a special winter class presentations. Parents are otherwise not permitted into the classroom to watch unless invited by the instructor. The reason we do not allow parents to watch on a regular basis is because children often find it difficult to concentrate on their learning with parents/friends present. By keeping the viewing of classes to the scheduled weeks, you will also be able to see the progression that your child is making throughout the year.
The Competitive Program is designed for students 6 years and older, wishing to make a bigger commitment to the study of dance. These students are members of a dedicated team of dancers that are given extra performance opportunities through participation in dance festivals and competitions in and around the Edmonton area. In May 2018 (with the exception of our Pre-Junior Team) we will also be attending a dance event in Lake Louise. Our Competitive program was developed in order to give students additional opportunities to share their art and love for dance with others through participation in dance festivals and competitions. These extra performance opportunities give students the chance to develop confidence and self expression. Because competitive classes move at a quicker pace than recreational classes, it is important that students attend classes regularly. Students who miss too many classes may be asked not to perform with the group; this is at the discretion of the instructor and school director.
Our Team Vision:
The focus of the Flexpointe Competitive program is dancing to ones’ personal best. Students are grouped according to age and ability, which allows them to build strong bonds. Our school values are the heartbeat of our program. We pride ourselves on our dance family environment which encourages teachers, parents and dancers to work together. We believe that together we can achieve great things.
Apart from competitive hip hop; students must be enrolled in a minimum of one ballet class per week and may also enrol in jazz, ballet, tap, lyrical, modern/contemporary, musical theater, acro and/or hip hop. Competitive program students are also given the opportunity to participate in solo, duet, and small group work. Competitive classes will also participate in our annual recital in June. Dance examinations in ballet, jazz and tap are strongly encouraged to ensure a strong technical foundation.
Admittance onto the Competition Team does not automatically mean the student will be invited to perform in dance festivals or competitions. Participation in additional performance opportunities is at the discretion of the instructor and school director, and depends upon the student’s level of commitment (attendance and behavior) as well as level of technical ability.
*Placement in this program is subject to approval by the studio Director.
- 6 Month & 10 Month Programming: If at any time a decision is made to remove your child or yourself from any program or class, you must provide 30 day written notice of the withdrawal to Flexpointe Studios Inc. Once processed, tuition fees are non-refundable unless a note from a medical doctor indicating the student’s inability to continue lessons is provided. Costume deposits and fees are also non-refundable after being processed. You will be responsible for the total costume fees and any performance fees if you withdraw from classes after December 1st. No withdrawals are accepted after March 1st due to preparation for the annual recital.
- 12 Week Session classes: Pro-rated refunds will only be provided up to and including the 2nd class of the session. After this time no refunds will be issued for any reason.
- There is a registration fee of $35+gst for an individual or $45+gst for a family per year. There is no registration fee for students enrolled in 12 week programming.
- Annual Tuition fees are based on the number of instructional hours a student receives per week. 2018/19 Program fee information is as follows:
- GST is an additional charge on all tuition fees.
- Fee schedule is per student. Receive a 5% off tuition if enrolling 2 or more children.
- Tuition fees include regular scheduled classes only.
- Tuition fees do not include extra choreography fees associated with solo, duet or trio work. Costume, performance and examination fees are also extra.
- All annual fees are based on a minimum of 32 weeks of classes.
A fee cap is the maximum dollar amount that any individual or family will pay per month (GST not included). Solo/duo/Trio fees are not included in the fee cap. Please be aware that the fee caps only include instructional fees for regular scheduled classes and do not include costume, performance or examination fees.
- Individual fee cap: $300/month + GST
- Family fee cap: $450/month + GST
Step 1: The registration fee along with 10% of the annual tuition must be paid before the first class and are non-refundable (with the exception of 12 week session fees which must be paid in full).
Step 2: For 10 month program classes select one of the following options for the remainder of the tuition balance:
- Full annual tuition up front: receive an additional 5% discount for full tuition payments received prior to September 30th (for 10 month programs only).
- Trimester tuition: For 10 month programs all post dated payments must be submitted by the first class. Cheques or post-dated VISA or Mastercard should be dated as follows: Oct. 1st, Jan 1st, Mar 1st
- Monthly payments: 9 monthly post dated payments for balance of tuition fees are only accepted from families who have children dancing 3 or more hours per week. Cheques or post-dated VISA or Mastercard payments should be dated from Oct 1 – June 1.
Cash and debit payments will only be accepted if the full annual tuition is paid up front.
For classes starting in January all post dated payments must be submitted by the first class. Payments should be dated as follows:
- January tuition, costume fee and Registration fee – submitted with registration form.
- March 1st remainder of tuition
For 12 week session classes tuition must be paid in full upon registration.
NSF cheques will result in an additional $20.00 charge.
Outstanding accounts a $20 late fee will be applied to accounts with outstanding balances by the 5th of the month. Accounts with outstanding balances by the 15th of the month will also be subject to an additional late fee equal to 5% of the balance owing.
Account statements: Please note that you will not be sent a monthly statement. Statements are provided upon request and are only sent out to remind you of late fees, costume fees, festival fees, and examination fees. Statements are emailed unless you have made a written request to the office to receive them by mail.
Private and semi private lessons are available for students requiring additional assistance or requesting private instruction. Lesson times are scheduled according to teacher and studio availability. The rate for a 1 hour private lesson is $60.00+gst and the rate for a 30 minute private lesson is $35.00+gst.
Students on the competition team are given the opportunity to sign up for extra dance routines. These include solo, duet and trio choreography. A request may be made to the office in the month of September. It is then up to the discretion of the Director if the student is ready for this opportunity or not. Some of the areas taken into consideration include the student’s level of commitment to their regular classes (attendance and behavior), work ethic, and improvement in technical ability.
Fees for extra choreography are as follows:
- Solo: $250 + gst
- Duet: $150 +gst per dancer
- Trio: $125 + gst per dancer
Included in the extra choreography fees are 4 hours of instructional time at the studio, as well as instructor time at festivals/competitions.
Note that costume and festival fees also apply and are not included in the above listed fees. Often dancers may use costumes from the last dance season or store bought items to keep the price of costuming down. Festival entry fees range from $35 – $65 per student per festival/competition entered. Students participating in extra choreography opportunities are expected to practice at home.
Tax receipts are available in January upon request. Please seehttp://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/fitness/ for more detail.
(Fees not included in fee cap or tuition fees)
- Costume fees for Recreational Classes: Costume fees are due upon registration for Recreational classes. Costume fees are charged for every class excluding 12 week session classes and technique classes. Costume fees are as follows: Twirl Yellow – $65; Twirl Pink, Twirl Lilac, Twirl Aqua – $75; Recreational classes ages 6 – 11 yrs – $85; Recreational classes ages 12 yrs & older – $95.
- Costume fees for Competitive Classes: A $60 Costume deposit is due October 1st for each competitive class (excluding Technique classes). Keep in mind that this is just a deposit and any remaining balance will be posted to accounts in March. Every effort is made to keep the cost of costuming down. Estimated total costume costs for competitive student under 10 years is $85 – $100 each, and for students over 10 years is $90 – $140 each.
- All dancers please note:Students are permitted to keep their costumes following their Recital Performance. All costume fees are non-refundable. The majority of our costumes are ordered from manufactures in Canada and the United States. Because of this, please be aware that costumes are ordered based on standard sizing charts. All dancers are measured for costumes in the Fall and are assigned a standardized size. Please be aware that small adjustments may need to be made, such as hemming of pants or attaching ribbons or straps. These adjustments are the responsibility of the dancer.
- Examinations – Examinations in Ballet (R.A.D & C.D.T.A.), Tap (A.D.A.P.T.), Jazz (A.D.A.P.T.), Modern (C.D.T.A.) and Acro (Acrobatique) are available for interested students upon approval of the instructor. Examinations are a great way for parents and students to celebrate the dance achievements that have been made. Professional examiners from each dance syllabus will grade the student examinations. We strongly encourage exams for Competitive program students. An examination fee will be charged for each examination in order to cover the cost of the exam and any extra needed rehearsals.
- Dance Festivals/Competitions and Stage Rehearsals – Students on the Competition team program will be participating in 2-4 Dance festivals and/or competitions in and around the Edmonton area. Entry fees for these events do apply and will be charged to the student’s account for November 1st.Group entry fees are approximately $35 – $45/dancer. Dance festivals may be scheduled during weekdays or weekends and as a result students may have to miss school. Please be aware that some dance festivals also charge an admission fee for parents/family/friends wishing to watch. This fee is usually around $5 and is free for dancers Participating in the festival. A Competition Team showcase will take place in March. This showcase will provide all competition team students the opportunity to perform their routines on stage in front of a live audience before festivals/competitions.
A professional photographer is hired each year to take group and individual photos of all dancers in their recital costumes. Photography times are also scheduled for solo, duet or trio groups. There is no sitting fee and no obligation to purchase photos. After photos are taken the proofs are available for you to view and select which photos you would like to purchase. No professional photographs are taken for any of the 12 week session classes.
There are no refunds for missed classes. Students who are sick are encouraged to come and watch the class if they are able to do so. If another class is available during the week at the same level, the student may attend to make up the missed class. Please check out our season calendar to see a list of holidays and studio closures. In the event a teacher is ill, a substitute teacher may be scheduled to teach the class. If a suitable substitute teacher is not available then the class will be rescheduled.
A monthly newsletter will be emailed out and posted at the studio as well as on our Flexpointe Families website to help keep parents and students up to date on studio news. The link to the Flexpointe Families Website is sent out to families once they have registered. Please refrain from discussing issues with your child’s teacher between classes so that the teacher may start classes on time. If you have a concern feel free to email or call the studio in order to set up a meeting with the teacher to discuss any concerns you may have.
Office hours can fluctuate throughout the season due to staff availability. You can call the studio or check out the posted hours on our website for up to date office hours.
Except for our 12 week session classes, all classes will participate in our annual recital held in June. Recreational students may opt-out of performing in recital; however this must be communicated to the studio in writing before October 1st . After October 1st the student will be responsible for the total costume fee. Tickets will be sold for parents, family and friends to attend the show and usually range from $15 – $22 per ticket.